In the lead up to the UN Climate Negotiations this November in Bonn, Germany, Health Care Without Harm is working with hospitals and health systems from around the world to sign a Health Care Call to Action on Climate Change.
Together with our health care partners we aim to forge a powerful, collective voice advocating for climate-smart health care, greater health system resiliency, and leadership from the health sector in protecting public and planetary health from climate change.
With climate change already exacerbating a wide range of health problems the world over, the health sector must play a leading role in addressing climate change, which The Lancet has called the greatest global health threat of the 21st Century.
The Health Care Call to Action is a message from hospitals and health systems to colleagues and sister institutions around the world. It calls on health care to address its own climate impacts, create climate-smart development strategies, and to prepare for expected serious climate-change induced extreme weather impacts.
By taking these actions, health care can help foster a transition to a low-carbon economy that will generate substantial health benefits and health equity gains.
"Health care institutions in every country can become leaders in contributing to both health and climate solutions by reducing their emissions and becoming more resilient," says Josh Karliner, International Director of Program and Strategy at Health Care Without Harm.
To start, 16 hospitals and health systems from 11 countries have signed the Health Care Call to Action on Climate Change. HCWH is calling on hospitals and health systems from around the world to endorse the call before the Bonn meeting in November.
- Download the Call to Action in English | Click here to access the endorsement form in English
- Download the Call to Action in Spanish | Click here to access the endorsement form in Spanish
- Download the Call to Action in Portuguese
- Download the Call to Action in French | Click here to access the endorsement form in French
- Download the Call to Action in German | Click here to access the endorsement form in German
List of Endorsers
Hospitals and Health Systems
- Boston Medical Center (United States)
- Buddhist Tzu Chi Medical Foundation (Taiwan)
- Centro Estatal de Vigilancia Epidemiologica y Control de Enfermedades CEVECE (Mexico)
- CHU Mohammed VI Marrakech (Morocco)
- Dignity Health (United States)
- Fundación Alborada (Spain)
- Hackensack University Medical Center (United States)
- Harrison Medical Center (United States)
- Hospital Clínica Bíblica (Costa Rica)
- Hospital Nacional de Niños (Costa Rica)
- Hospital Universitario Austral (Argentina)
- Instituto do Câncer do Estado de São Paulo (Brazil)
- Kapiri Mposhi District Hospital (Zambia)
- Khoo Teck Puat Hospital (Singapore)
- Landspitali - the National University Hospital of Iceland (Iceland)
- NHS Ayrshire and Arran (Scotland)
- Nipawin Hospital (Canada)
- Pio XII Hospital in Misurina (Italy)
- Providence St. Joseph (United States)
- Shanti Med Nepal (Nepal)
- Sisters of St. Paul of Chartres (SPC) Health Care Ministry (Philippines)
- St. Paul Hospital of Tuguegarao Inc. (Philippines)
- Syamsudin Hospital (Indonesia)
- The University of Vermont Medical Center (United States)
- Virginia Mason (United States)
- Vivantes Berlin (Germany)
- Western Cape Government Department of Health (South Africa)
- Canadian Coalition for Green Health Care (Canada)
- Chainama College of Health Sciences (Zambia)
- Health Professionals for a Healthy Climate (United States)
- Infection Control Africa Network (South Africa)
- Physicians for Social Responsibility, Pennsylvania (United States)
- Royal College of Physicians (RCP London) (United Kingdom)
- Synergie Santé Environnement (Canada)
- Yale University School of Nursing (United States)