The 5th Saving Lives Sustainably: Sustainable Production in the Health Sector Global Forum 2022 is taking place on 23-24 November 2022, under the theme, “Supply Chains for Sustainable Health Care: Production and Procurement to Accelerate Social and Environmental Action.”
The virtual event is organised by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), Sustainable Healthcare Coalition, Health Care Without Harm, and the Secretariat of the UN informal Interagency Task Team on Sustainable Procurement in the Health Sector (SPHS), with support from the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida).
The Global Forum 2022 will cover a range of topics on environmental and social sustainability in the production, supply and procurement of health commodities, delivery of health care services and management of associated waste, all in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Forum will host some of the world’s most eminent thinkers, practitioners and organisations who will inspire and open discussion on sustainable production, procurement, and supply in global health.
Among the speakers are:
- Dr. Nick Watts, Chief Sustainability Officer, NHS England
- Dr. Mandeep Dhaliwal, Director, HIV, Health and Development, UNDP
- Mr. Gary Cohen, President and Co-Founder, Health Care Without Harm
- Dr. Fiona Adshead, Chair, Sustainable Healthcare Coalition
- Mr. Carsten Hansen, Chief, Procurement Services Unit, UNDP
- Dr. Done Yalcin, Managing Partner, CMS Global Turkey
- Sonia Roschnik, Executive Director, Geneva Sustainability Centre
- Alexandra Hammond, Head of Sustainable Procurement and Supply, NHS England
- Dr. Amitrajit Saha, Regional Team Leader, HIV, Health and Development, UNDP Africa and Eastern Europe and Central Asia
- Nicolai Schaaf, Team Leader, Water and Pharmaceuticals, Stockholm International Water Institute (SIWI)
- Dr. Kristian Steele, Associate Director, Arup
The Forum will enable participants to engage in sessions such as:
- Building sustainable supply chains towards net-zero emissions
- Procurement for a toxic-free future
- Legal accelerators and barriers for uptake of sustainability
- Plastic waste reduction
- Construction, operation, and transport
- Resource conservation in health care value chain
- Equity and gender participation in supply chains
- Addressing labour and human rights and workforce retention
- Emphasizing resilience in health supply chains: Experiences from COVID-19
- Business ethics, integrity, and anti-corruption programmes
- Leadership for sustainable supply chains in health care systems
The online event is an opportunity for suppliers, manufacturers, policymakers, technical experts, academia, civil society organisations, and others active in the global health sector to explore the front-running sustainable consumption and production patterns and the latest innovations in the context of COVID-19 and beyond.
More information about the programme, speakers and registration are available here.